23 June 2009

Kinky Gazpacho...get into this




So I've been reading like a fiend this summer. It's a relatively cheap pleasure that yields such rich returns. I'm currently on a Kundera kick and pondering the great mysteries of life such as the nature of love and individuality and whether either can be understood. In fact if any human can be understood because we all speak different languages, symbolic languages that is.
I'm pretty excited about re-reading Kinky Gazpacho. This memoir is a beautiful story of a woman who reminds me of myself in someways. (That's not why it's beautiful though) It's about her learning the steps to dancing between two cultures: American and Spanish and somewhere finding her nirvana. There aren't many novels about African-American women travelling the world, yet there are so many who do, and whose stories could fill volumes of tomes. It's interesting to read about the Lori's experiences in Spain and compare them to my own in France. Hopefully, one day I'll add to this literary dialogue, but until then I can re-read and encourage y'all(who ever is reading this) to read it. To sum it up in a sentence? It's like Eat, Pray, Love (also one of my favourites) without as much whining and more flavor.
I lent it to a very dear friend who is actually studying in Spain this summer and I can't wait for her to come home, not only because I miss her, but because I'm going to re-read this book...actually I'll just buy it in paperback :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Homie, you can definitely have your book back tho.. I made sure to arrange my luggage and beware of the weight requirements so I could bring it back to you... And I've been reading too! I love it. (But I didnt really like Kinky, she cried at the end of every chapter! but it did remind me alot of you tho.. like.. ALOT!) I'm a fiction girl myself. I finally read the Firm and I just started on this Vampire series thats a show on HBO... Dead until Dark... get on it