11 September 2007

Life in the time of Orange Alert

6 years ago today , life in the U.S. came to a halt. I was a freshman in high school and I still remember being in Integrated Physics and Chemistry(wasn't a big fan of that class) in the morning when we heard the news. I was terribly confused. To borrow T.S. Eliot's words, "I had not thought that death had undone so many."
6 years later,today, in Oklahoma it is a beautiful day. I woke up and it was 57 degrees and sunny-my idea of perfect weather. I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte to usher in Autumn in my mind and my day was lovely.
I watched CNN before heading to class and heard the story of a pair of twins who were born 6 years ago today. As horrible and wretched as September 11th, 2001 was, beauty still came from it. 2 little girls were born amongst many other thousands. And I would wager that May 11th, 2001 saw even more birth celebrations.
As horrible and scary as the world is, I'm still hopeful. When people cease to see the point in having children,that's when I'll throw in the towel.
It feels like God hand-selected the day to remind people,me at least, that life still goes on and that happiness, even contentment can still survive under continued heightened alert.

No comments: