04 June 2007

First Impressions...

So, I arrived in D.C. yesterday in the drizzling,grey conditions that annoyed the city.
I was greeted at the airport by a wonderful Sooner woman and we proceeded to get me checked in and settled in my dorm at GWU.
SO I arrive and to my chagrin, I don't have a roommate and that makes the bare room seem even more sad. I would have cried(yes, I cry sometimes :( until my friend Brandon called and made me smile.
Fastforward to today when I mastered the Metro,got to my job in time (actually,early if you really want to know) and was inundated with information. I'm just going to put it out there, I don't know of any other work that I could be doing that is more important to the balance and well-being of the world-and that's non-fiction.
Anyway, I stayed a little later after work to talk with one of my new colleagues and help her with a project and then got on the Metro,like a big girl,and made my way back to the dorm.
On the way, I ran into an angry mob that ended up being a reception for Obama,Edwards,and Clinton. They were giving a speech on poverty. I do like that about D.C. I'm not a big fan of the non-existence of smiling or acknowledging people's presence.
I went to Starbucks to try to get wireless='d access denied but I met this really nice guy,good looking,non-sketch Med student who told me where a coffee shop with free-wireless was and then proceeded to walk with me there. I wasn't surprised when he told me he was from Virginia, Southern Gentlemen are always outstanding. Their mommas raised them right :)
Anyway,
there's a brief intro to my life in the city thus far, I know better stories and experiences will ensue...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: